In this day and age, recliners have become the comfiest and most used seating in our houses. With the excessive use, some of its parts are damaged over time, which eventually causes the malfunction of the whole recliner.
Now, you don’t have to discard the recliner that is not working well, since you can fix the trivial issues easily at home. You may need the help of a professional if there is some prominent damage.
Although, you can save a good amount of money by repairing the common issues yourself. In this article, we will give you a detailed guide on how to fix a recliner that won’t stay up.
Recognize the issue
A recliner may fail to stay up due to several possible causes, and the first thing you have to do is to find out where lies the main problem.
As soon as the problem is recognized, only then you will come to know which equipment will you need to fix the issue.
Some problems occur most commonly such as broken cables, failed springs, or broken handles.
The tools you are going to need to fix a recliner that won’t stay up are as follows:
- Adjustable wrench
- The parts you need to replace, i.e. cable, handle, spring, etc.
How to replace a recliner cable
If the recliner is not reclining when you are pulling it by using the handle, then the recliner cable might be broken, loose, or it might be moving without reclining.
To put a stop to the breakdown of the recliner in the future, you must correctly install the cable. Below is the guide on how to fix a recliner cable:
- Firstly, remove the two bolts on the top and bottom part of the recliner’s handle
- Drag the handle with the help of the cable which is still attached to the handle
- Turn the recliner upside down to get access to the cable mechanism which is present at the bottom side of the recliner
- Close the footrest and then remove the broken cable by removing the plastic clips that are holding the cable by using pliers.
- Pull the arm of the footrest to release it in order to get access to the release arm where the cable is connected.
- Elevate the release arm and Unfasten the cable, then pull it from the recliner
- Now replace the cable with the new one by passing it by the side of the recliner like the old one and fit the plastic clip.
- Raise the release arm and fit the cable to the hole
- Shut the footrest and keep the chair to an upright position and test the recliner by screwing the handle back to its position.
How to fix the failed springs of the recliner
It is common to find the springs of a recliner failed or broken in the long run. Don’t worry, as you can fix the defective springs on your own by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Place the recliner upside down and find out which spring is broken or loose
- Now take out the broken spring to compare it with the brand new one to make sure that it is the right one
- Stretch the new spring to fix it to its holders and in this way replace the faulty spring with the new one
- If in case the springs are not attached to their respective holder and also the condition of that spring is fairly good, then return it back to its position.
How to replace the whole reclining mechanism
If the whole recliner mechanism is completely broken then you need to replace it instead of repairing it, because in this case, the repair will charge you more than buying whole new machinery.
Below is the guide on how to replace a recliner mechanism on your own:
- Turn the rear of your recliner upward
- To get access to the locks that are holding the back of your recliner, you need to take out the back cover
- Push the lock release with the help of a screwdriver, and then drag out that side. Repeat on the other side as well and eradicate the back of the recliner.
- To reach out the bolts that hold the recliner mechanism, you have to place the recliner upside down.
- Now set free the footrest
- Loosen up those bolts which hold the mechanism to the rail of the recliner
- Pull out the recliner mechanism from the rail and remove the cables
- Next up, unfasten the bolts which hold the recliner mechanism to the frame, and then loosen the bolts holding the footrest on the mechanism
- Lift the whole mechanism from the frame of the recliner
- Now place the new mechanism on the frame and bolt the footrest in it
- Bolt the mechanism on the frame and then place back the cable
- Bolt the reclining mechanism in its position by lifting it on the rails
We hope you got your problem solved by reading this article. If you have any questions or any problems that relate to “How to fix a recliner that won’t stay up”, you can ask in the comments. Share the article if you like it.